Monday, May 11, 2009

It's Spring!: Samantha Berger and Pamela Chanko

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/14490000/14498402.JPG
After reading Lorie Ann's blog last Monday about Jill Ackerman's board book Welcome Spring, I looked on my shelf for other favorite toddler books about spring. It's Spring! is a different spin on the same subject matter.

In April the robin began to sing
to tell the rabbit it was spring.
The rabbit hopped and thumped his feet
to tell the deer the air smelled sweet.

There's something about this story that makes me happy when I read it. It's bouncy without being choppy or forced. I truly experience the delight of a host of animals, who can hardly wait to spread the news of all the signs they've seen that spring has indeed arrived.

And the art is so sweet--Melissa Sweet, that is. I've enjoyed Melissa's illustration since the Pinky and Rex early chapter books.

Note that this book was reprinted in paperback with a different cover, as a Cartwheel early reader.

It's Spring!
by Samantha Berger and Pamela Chanko
Illustrated by Melissa Sweet
Scholastic, Cartwheel Books, 2003

~ Joan Holub

1 comment:

Lorie Ann Grover said...

So cute! And to have a reprint from a board to a reader. I wonder how frequent this is? Cool!