Monday, November 23, 2009

Children's Books as iPhone Apps: The next new thing?

When board books are no longer made of board, will we cease to call them board books?

I just read an interview with
author-illustrator Elizabeth O. Dulemba at Greg Pincus's blog, The Happy Accident. She has created an iPhone app of her children's book, Lula's Brew.

Since I had just heard from another author-illustrator, my very talented friend Maryann Cocca-Leffler, with the news that she had created an iPhone app for her book, What A Pest!, I was extra-intrigued. Is the idea of children's books as iPhone apps gathering momentum? The catalog page at the site offering Maryann's book app is PicPocketBooks.

http://www.picpocketbooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/wap_button_large.jpg

Some scoop from Maryann Cocca-Leffler:


I’m very excited that my book WHAT A PEST! will be reaching and teaching the Iphone generation! Picpocketbooks.com has licensed my book, which I wrote and illustrated. WHAT A PEST! can now be downloaded to an Iphone or Itouch for $2.99. Who would have thought when I entered the children’s book industry over 25 years ago that my books would make their way into the pocket of readers? Sharing books on the Iphone is another way to expose children to books and as an author-illustrator that has always been my goal. Picpocketbooks.com has also added a wonderful audio of the story as well as a word highlighting feature so the child can easily follow along.


WHAT A PEST! is an early reader about two sisters. The older one thinks the younger one is a pest but in the end they realize how important they are to each other. The story itself is loosely based on personal experiences on many levels. I have a younger sister…and I also have two daughters. Growing up, my sister, Diane was a pest! (Now she is my best friend). She was always hanging around with me and my friends and getting in the way. We also sang together and one time she got the chicken pox before a performance. By blending many ideas and watching my own daughters struggle with sisterhood, I came up with the story WHAT A PEST! I hope you enjoy it!


http://picturebookillustrators.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341ee19353ef011278dffbc128a4-800wi


Maryann's newest picture book is Princess K.I.M. and the Lie that Grew. I love it!


Thanks, Maryann! ~ Joan Holub

7 comments:

Andromeda Jazmon said...

This is a really exciting development! I would love to have a stack of great picture books on an iPod in my pocket! That would make the waiting room of the doctor's office so much more pleasant.

Andrea said...

PicPocket makes ALL waiting easier...car rides, airports, Dr.s offices, restaurants, you name it!

Lorie Ann Grover said...

This is such cool news! Thanks, much!

The Mehlbergs said...

Just created a new adorable (in my humble opinion) children's book about a Chocolate Lab, Henry, who goes camping with his Mommy and Daddy. Check it out and let me know what you think!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/henry-goes-camping/id359898707?mt=8

Official website: http://henrygoescamping.blogspot.com

Bertha Hazelwood said...

These are cool apps. There are some of the reviewed on this iphone apps review site. They are called read and play, and I think they're solid after installing 3 of the 4 that they offer.

The Mehlbergs said...

For those that like read-and-play books, and for those that liked Henry Goes Camping, check out Henry's Halloween... another read-and-play book available on iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/henrys-halloween/id395739866?mt=8

20% of app sales for both of these apps will go to the White Hall Dog Rescue who organized the "Justice for Jack" Facebook group.

admin said...

Time is money as the old saying goes, and by studying this submit, I spotted that I saved myself a whole lot of treasured time, which would have been otherwise spent on studying low consistency data all around the almighty web. Thanks for the straight to the point, useful input!