Monday, October 25, 2010

Happy Birthday, Little Pookie: Sandra Boynton

Happy Birthday, Little Pookie (Pookie Books)
Hooray! A new Sandra Boynton board book. I still remember how excited I was when I first saw Sandra's quirky, hilarious cards in the stores years ago. No one else was doing anything like she was at the time, and I consider her a creative pioneer.

Little Pookie is a pig. The first page illustration of him is so pignant, oh, I mean poignant. Really sweet and childlike. Pookie is waking up his/her pig parents because it's Pookie's birthday. However, it's the middle of the night before this big event. So Pookie is coaxed back into bed, only to return at precisely 5:32 a.m. with yet another birthday announcement. Parents reply:

You're back little Pookie.
It's 5:32.

Well, okay, it's your day,

Happy Birthday to you!


The fun day plays out with piggie pancakes, a balloon, and friends. And it ends with a wonderful happy birthday wish. This story took me back to a time when birthdays were so important--when I thought the world revolved around the fact that it was MY birthday!

A sweet, sturdy, rhyming, realistic board books totz will love!

Happy Birthday, Little Pookie
Author-illustrator: Sandra Boynton
Robin Corey Books, 2010

1 comment:

Lorie Ann Grover said...

This one is spot on fun. Thanks, Joan!