Saturday, November 14, 2015

Do I Have to Say Hello? Aunt Delia's Manners Quiz for Kids and Their Grownups: Delia Ephron



In perfect time for the holidays we have a reissue of a book from 1989 with updates for the modern reader and older sibs of your totz. Delia Ephron's Do I Have to Say Hello? Aunt Delia's Manners Quiz for Kids and Their Grownups is available for giggling and learning simultaneously.

The work begins with Aunt Delia's letter and book arriving at the kids' home. It is an invite to take a quiz of manners. How do the children reply?

"Go jump in the lake."
"I hate tests."
"Okay, but I'm bringing forty friends. You'd better have food.
"I'd love to, Aunt Delia. Thank you so much for asking me."

If you accepted the invitation, what do you do now?
Turn the page.
Close the book and throw it out the window.

Edward Koren's squiggly, loose, ink drawings illustrate topics from Restaurant Manners to Video Game Manners and Holiday Manners. Delia's humor is punctuated with Edward's hilarious imagery of children acting out at times with inappropriate responses.

The modern inclusions are gems.

Now you're playing Minecraft. Aunt Delia is watching. She says, "Do you have to kill the sheep, too? Why don't you just cut the wool?"
What do you say?
"Wait until I kill this pig and then I'll explain."
"Stop talking. You just made me die."

And how perfect to end with the holidays we are approaching.

It's time to go home. What's the best way to show everyone how much you love them?
Give them each a big hug and a kiss and thank Aunt Delia for the delicious dinner.
Say, "Some Thanksgiving. The only thing I liked was the white meat turkey."
Say, "So long, Aunt Delia, Uncle Jerry, Grandma, Grandpa, Matt, Michelle, and baldie. See you at Christmas. Bring big presents."

So much to love.

Do I Have to Say Hello? Aunt Delia's Manners Quiz for Kids and Their Grownups
By Delia Ephron
Illustrated by Edward Koren
Blue Rider Press, 2015

No comments: