Monday, July 16, 2012

Baby Listens: Esther Wilkin

Baby Listens (Little Golden Book) Cover

How often I wonder what classic work has influenced my own work for children. I found again Baby Listens by Esther Wilkin, illustrated by Eloise Wilkin. First released in 1960, the reissue feels retro fresh. This work would have been for sale in the grocery store as my mother shopped, and I sat in the cart. Was it the one she picked just for me?

BUZZ-Z-Z goes Daddy's razor.
And BUZZ-Z-Z go the bumble bees.
SNAP goes Mommy's pocketbook.
JINGLE go her keys.



Explore what baby hears throughout the day with Eloise's soft watercolor images and Esther's rhymes. This classic may become a touchstone for your totz.

Baby Listens
by Esther Wilkin
illustrated by Eloise Wilkin
Golden Books, 1960, reissued 2012

No comments: