Thursday, June 16, 2011

June Older Sibling Pick: Cloudette


The minute I saw this cover, I wanted to read this picture book. Tom Lichtenheld's art has that effect on me. The book trailer is adorable, too. It's Cloudette's job resume as she searches for a way to make a difference in the world.

Cloudette has personality. The text and art manage to make her so believably childlike that totz and kidz will identify with her. She isn't as big as the other clouds and wonders what she can possibly contribute. She likes being small, but the big clouds can do a lot that she can't -- like creating thunderstorms, for instance. When one of the big clouds' storms whooshes her far away, she meets a frog with a problem--an empty pond. Her solution is perfect and I was cheering for her.

Tom Lichtenheld is also the illustrator of the New York Times bestselling Duck! Rabbit! and Shark vs. Train, and Zero the Hero (Feb 2012 / written by totz co-founder Joan Holub.)

author-illustrator: Tom Lichtenheld

1 comment:

Lorie Ann Grover said...

I didn't realize THAT is who your illustrator for ZERO, THE HERO is! Woot!

I can't wait to see darling Cloudette!