Thursday, April 21, 2011

April Older Sibling Pick: Rain Brings Frogs


True to the subtitle of this book, Nate--the upbeat hero of the story--is a ray of sunshine, offering a lighthearted dose of much-needed hope. The first spread reads:

When Mom says, I HATE RAIN.
Nate says, RAIN BRINGS FROGS!

Lately, I have considered the maxim that "little pitchers have big ears," and I've wondered how the tragedy and turmoil in the world is affecting young children. There's a lot of angst out there, and this book is a timely reminder that there is good after bad. Totz haven't lived long enough to know that and may need this idea reinforced.

One of my favorite spreads in this books is the one with an illustration of what appears to be the finale of a swim team race. A dejected Casey clutches a 2nd place ribbon, while Nate's waving a 5th place ribbon:

When Casey says, I LOST.
Nate says, I FINISHED!

Rain Brings Frogs reinforces many such instances of "looking on the bright side," yet it's not saccharine. I'm a fan of Maryann Cocca-Leffler's and a friend. When I received this book from her publisher, I was delighted to see that it was already in a 2nd reprinting! You go, Maryann!

Rain Brings Frogs
Author-illustrator: Maryann Cocca-Leffler
HarperCollins, 2011

2 comments:

Lorie Ann Grover said...

I have loved having this cover at the top of readertotz' blog all month, Joan. The contents of the book sound wonderful. A good reminder for totz and folks. Thank you!

Maryann Cocca-Leffler said...

Joan- Thanks for featuring my book. That 'Swimming" spread is also my favorite...and is based on real life..My daughter, who I dedicated the book to, has some phyical challenges. When she was young and at a swim meet, she was the only one left in the pool, slowly making her way across. She was so thrilled to finish, while her little friends were crying because they lost. That moment was a life lesson for me and hopefully for those surrounding the pool that day.
Still today- at 25, she continues to have a positive attitude, dispite her disabilities.