NATIONAL PICTURE BOOK WRITING WEEK ("NaPiBoWriWee")
7 Picture Books in 7 Days!
Sponsored by www.paulayoo.com
In the spirit of National Novel Writing Month ("NaNoWriMo") where people across the country try to write a complete novel in one month, the fine folks at www.paulayoo.com have decided to start the first ever National Picture Book Writing Week, affectionately nicknamed "NaPiBoWriWee."
The goal? To write 7 picture books in 7 days.
To summarize, the basic rules:
1. Midnight May 1st to 11:59 p.m. May 7th: Write 7 separate and complete picture books.
2. You are NOT allowed to write the same picture book in 7 variations. Each book must be complete and separate.
3. No minimum word count. Instead, each book must have a clear beginning, middle and end.
4. You are allowed to brainstorm and research book topics before May 1st.
5. You are NOT allowed to write a single word of your draft until midnight May 1st.
6. There is NO minimum word count required. The fine folks of NaPiBoWriWee require nothing but your word of honor. We will embrace the Honor Code. If you say you have written 7 complete picture book drafts in 7 days, we will believe you. Besides, why would you lie to us? You're writing picture books for little children! Picture Book Authors are nice, honest people who would never lie!
7. Please register on http://paulayoo.com/ in order to write comments on Paula's blog every day with your progress and questions.
8. If you plan to blog about your NaPiBoWriWee journey, please include a link to: http://paulayoo.com/
9. A winner will be chosen from random of all the people who comment from May 1-7 on http://paulayoo.com/. That winner will receive an autographed copy of Paula Yoo's latest picture book biography, "SHINING STAR: THE ANNA MAY WONG STORY" (Lee & Low Books 2009) by June 2009 when the book is released.
10. For those of you attending the national Society of Children Book Writers & Illustrators (http://scbwi.org/) conference in August, let me know and I'll arrange for an informal gathering during the conference so we can meet in person and celebrate our first NaPiBoWriWee!
Happy writing, parents of readertotz!