Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Top Shelf: Unstoppable



I LOVE THIS BOOK! Hence, the Top Shelf designation.

Adam Rex, of Nothing Rhymes with Orange, brings a story of cooperation between individuals to the grand scale to include society and the environment. Together, we are unstoppable.

To begin, a bird joins a crab to gain protection from a cat. It's crabbird, birdrab! Desiring the attributes of other species and facing fears, a birdraburtlebear is created. Colloquial language brings even more humor to the text:

"Hey, Steve, I don't know what you're so angry about, but I think maybe it's because you wish you could be a part of this incredible thing we've got going on. I think maybe you're lonely. I think...maybe...you could use some friends?"

The group is unstoppable as they fly through the air, until they discover their environment is threatened. I won't spoil the surprise, but they go and find help. And it's a beautiful thing. Laura Park's fresh illustrations are given a big format, and the white space is filled with hope for everyone. Bravo!

Unstoppable
by Adam Rex
illustrated by Laura Park
Chronicle Books, 2020

No comments: