Friday, November 22, 2013

Poetry Friday: My Mom is a Foreigner, But Not to Me

Happy Poetry Friday! Enjoy the day with Julianne Moore's My Mom is a Foreigner, But Not to Me. The affirming message, set to rhyme, along with Meilo So's lively, fresh illustration will touch you for certain. (Note: different fonts denote different children speaking.) Enjoy!



"My Mom is a foreigner,
She's from another place.

     She came when she was ten years old,
     With only one suitcase.

She took a BOAT to get here!

     SHE DIDN'T KNOW THE WAY.

She came here with my Opa.
It took them days and days.

     She's different than the other Moms
     Because she's not from here.
     There's lots of stuff about her
     That's sometimes seems so weird."

My Mom is a Foreigner, But Not to Me
by Julianne Moore
illustrated by Meilo So
Chronicle Books, 2013

No comments: