Thursday, January 19, 2012

January for the Older Sibling: Betty Bunny Loves Chocolate Cake

 

When I read the quote on the back of this picture book, I knew it was going to be a book I liked. It turned out to be a book I love.

"I am going to marry chocolate cake!" ~ Betty Bunny

I said things like this when I was a kid. In fact, I'd still like to marry chocolate chip cookies. The situations, characters, and dialogue are full of wry humor and realism, all of which rings true and entertains.

At its core, this story is about waiting and learning to be patient. Many kids (and grown-ups) struggle with this. It's hard to wait for something as wonderful as chocolate cake, right? But after a first delicious taste, Betty  must wait for another piece. She throws a temper tantrum and huffs to her room.

I laughed when Betty's mom tells her: I still love you.
And Betty replies: And I still love chocolate cake.

Kids everywhere will relate to Betty and her frustrations, and they'll laugh at her hijinks and at the book's ending.

Keep an eye out for Betty Bunny Wants Everything, coming February 2012.

Betty Bunny Loves Chocolate Cake
Author: Michael B. Kaplan
Illustrator: Stephane Jorisch
Publisher: Dial Books, May 2011

1 comment:

Lorie Ann Grover said...

Sounds like an authentic fresh voice!