Wednesday, November 16, 2011

November For the Older Sibling: I Want My Hat Back

Initially, I was attracted to the cover of this book, and the bear's expression. But I wasn't sure I was going to like it. Was it going to be too spare and all about the great art, I wondered? But I loved this book, the minute I read it.

Bear's hat is gone, and he's looking for it with determination and stoic patience. We don't know what his hat looks like, but we go on the journey with him as he politely asks the animals he comes across, one by one, whether they have seen it. They say no, one by one. Eventually, a deer asks a question that creates a "hey, wait a minute" moment for bear.

A sly, wry story that is perfectly illustrated. Totz will love discovering the secret before bear does and may very well be shouting at him to send him in the right direction. Highly recommend this one!

Book trailer

I Want My Hat Back
Author-illustrator: Jon Klassen
Candlewick Press, 2011

1 comment:

Lorie Ann Grover said...

YES! This one is scooping up awards as well, Joan. The ending is soooo surprising. Very Sendak and Van Allsburg. Love it!