Saturday, January 1, 2011

What Does Cow Say? Celebrating a new lift-the-flap book from readertotz co-founder, Joan Holub

I hope you'll join me in celebrating my new rhyming lift-the-large-flap board book from Scholastic/Cartwheel Books, What Does Cow Say?



Story scoop: These farm animals have big mouths! When the sun came up, Duck went Quack which woke his neighbor, Cow, who went MOO, which woke Rooster who went Cock-a-doodle-doo. . . As each animal awakens, totz can guess what it says and open its big-flap beak, snout, or mouth to read its signature sound. The final spread shows a child waking up--with open arms and a final HOORAY! to welcome the day!

Art scoop: Instead of a manuscript, I submitted this 2-page dummy to Scholastic/Cartwheel for consideration. All the mouths had working flaps taped over them, so they'd lift to reveal the animal sound below. A lot goes into creating these seemingly uncomplicated books. For instance, the title and some of the text changed during the editing process. And as you can see, artist Jannie Ho made the book way cuter than my proposal.












Lucky me to have Jannie illustrate this book! She studied illustration at Parsons School of Design in NYC, and was a designer at Nickelodeon, Scholastic, and associate art director at TIME Magazine for Kids before becoming a full-time illustrator. Wow!

~ Joan Holub

What Does Cow Say?
Author: Joan Holub
Illustrator: Jannie Ho
Scholastic, Cartwheel Books, January 2011

4 comments:

Ms Saba (aka Teacher007.5) said...

Let me say first, CONGRATS!!!!! on your new book!!! It looks and sounds to be a real treat for the little ones. :) Hope you have a great year!!

Joan Holub said...

Thank you so much for the congrats.
Happy 2011!

Lorie Ann Grover said...

This is adorable, Joan! I'm so happy for youuuuuuu!

Joan Holub said...

Thanks Lorie Ann! Do you remember critiquing this for me a few years ago? Your enthusiasm for it made all the difference for me.