Sunday, September 12, 2010

Lunch with personality: Have you heard about Japanese Bento Boxes?

Instead of a board book this time on readertotz, we've got food for thought. I found Bento boxes for the first time recently and loved these cool food critters. I hope you will too!

Funky Lunch: Feed Your ImaginationYum-Yum Bento Box: Fresh Recipes for Adorable Lunches

'O-bento' is what the Japanese call these lovingly created and packed lunches. These adorable tributes are made by parents and sent off with their children to school, to a game, etc. Some of these goodies are works of art! I would almost hate to eat them, wouldn't you? They're not only a hit in Japan, they're a big hit here in the USA these days. I have to admit I find the idea of making these elaborate-yet-simple lunches a bit overwhelming. My mom barely had enough time to put anything in our school lunch boxes when I was a girl. Still, I love the idea of creating nutritious snacks and meals that are so incredibly cute!

Just had to share. Here are some book and site links:

Books:
Cute Yummy Time
Funky Lunch
Yum Yum Bento Box (photo below)

Yum-Yum Bento Box: Fresh Recipes for Adorable Lunches
Sites:
Lunch in a box
Bento Box

2 comments:

Lorie Ann Grover said...

Joan!!! These are so adorable. Thanks for sharing. ADORABLE!

Joan Holub said...

I knew you'd like them!