Monday, April 20, 2009

At the Construction Site: Ace Landers

At the Construction Site

At the Construction Site stands out to me because of it's layered pages. What a smart format to display the vehicles at work. Turning the unusual shapes and discovering how each spread relates to the next is engaging. Referencing the cover, the green front loader is the shape of the first page; the yellow backhoe, and the red dump truck are others. P. Migliani's simple, clean illustrations will appeal to your totz totally into construction.

Ace Landers' straight forward text introduces the various trucks on site. The reader is taken from the bulldozer which clears the site, all the way to the crane which builds. My heart still goes to the cement truck. They've always fascinated me!

There are a few perspective shifts that the format creates, but I believe they will be overlooked by construction fans. Enjoy, At the Construction Site!

At the Construction Site
Ace Landers, Author
P. Migliani, illustrator
Scholastic, Cartwheel Books, 2007

1 comment:

Joan Holub said...

I haven't seen this, but the layered-page idea looks interesting, so I'll be sure to take a look at it. I love that your heart goes to the cement truck. :o)